- man pages for:
- Your modem manual (if it exists). Some modems come without manuals.
Serial Suite by Vern Hoxie is a collection of blurbs about the care and
feeding of the Linux serial port plus some simple programs.
- The Linux serial mailing list. To subscribe, send email to
subscribe linux-serial'' in the message body. If you
help'' in the message body, you get a help
message. The server also serves many other Linux lists. Send
lists'' command for a list of mailing lists.
I've been unable to find a good up-to-date book on modems.
- The Complete Modem Reference by Gilbert Held, 1997.
Contains too much info about obsolete topics. More up-to-date info
may be found on the Internet.
- Modems For Dummies by Tina Rathbone, 1996. (Have never seen it.)
- The Modem Technical Guide by Douglas Anderson, 1996.
- Ultimate Modem Handbook by Cass R. Lewart, 1998.
- Black, Uyless D.: Physical Layer Interfaces & Protocols, IEEE
Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos, CA, 1996.
- Cable-Modem mini-howto
- SuSE ISDN Howto (not a LDP Howto)
- Linux-Modem-Sharing mini-howto. Computers on a network share
a single modem for dial-out (like a shared printer).
- Modems-HOWTO: In French (Not used in creating this Modem-HOWTO)
- NET-3-4-HOWTO: all about networking, including SLIP, CSLIP, and PPP
- PPP-HOWTO: help with PPP including modem set-up
- Serial-HOWTO has info on Multiport Serial Cards used for both
terminals and banks of modems. Covers the serial port in more detail
than in the HOWTO.
- Serial-Programming-HOWTO: for some aspects of serial-port programming
- Text-Terminal-HOWTO: (including connecting up with modems)
- UUCP-HOWTO: for information on setting up UUCP
- comp.os.linux.answers; FAQs, How-To's, READMEs, etc. about Linux.
- comp.os.linux.hardware; Hardware compatibility with the
Linux operating system.
- comp.os.linux.setup; Linux installation and system administration.
- comp.dcom.modems; Modems for all OS's